Thursday, December 9, 2010

45th Annual Marietta Candlelight Tour of Homes

Hello Bloggers!
Well as promised I have some pictures of the house tour I went on this past Sunday. I must tell you that if you live close enough to attend this tour, it is well worth the trip! You won't be disappointed! I have gone on this tour every year for about 10 years and I wouldn't miss it for anything! Marietta is located along the Susquehanna river just off RT 441 between Middletown and Columbia. (It's midway between Harrisburg and Lancaster) Marietta is a very old town(early 1700"s) there are some absolutely beautiful homes in the town and lots of Bed and Breakfast. Anyway here are a few pics. I always take a lot of pictures of the doors that are decorated.They have a contest in town for the best door decorations.

Love this railing planter.
This picture isn't great but I love this table!
Table display in one of the homes.
This home always has the nicest window boxes every year!
Love this door!
This is a home along Front Street, the oldest section of town. The doors are always decorated great!
This is the Union Meeting House  built in 1818. They have table displays inside that you can vote for the best one.
Table display I voted the best!Done by American Family Weavers.
Tombstones in the front of the Meeting house. The earliest one I could read was 1842.

Civil war Union Forces camping and recruitment in front of the Old Town Hall.
There are horse drawn carriage rides. There are also people walking around town in 1800's period dress.
That's it! I love this tour!
You can check out their web site .
http://www.mariettarestoration.org/

I am hoping to get to the Christkindl German Market in Mifflinburg PA on Saturday. This is the 22nd year for this event. Ther are over 100 vendors, great german food, lots of way cool activities. I will take photos if I get to go!
Stay warm!
Wanda

2 comments:

  1. Hi, Stopped by to say thanks for following my blog.
    Wow, I am stunned by the tour! Simply Breathtaking! The beauty of all the naural decorating on the stunning old homes!
    Thanks for sharing & walking me through it so enjoyed!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful pictures~ welcome to you a a new follower!! And congratulations on a new grandchild!!

    ReplyDelete